Linux Interview Question
What is tmpfs?
Ans> Main points to remember about tmpfs:
– A ﬁle system based on SunOS virtual memory resources.
– Tmpfs does not use traditional non-volatile media to store ﬁle data; instead, tmpfs ﬁles exist solely in virtual memory maintained by the UNIX kernel.
– Tmpfs is designed primarily as a performance enhancement to allow short lived ﬁles to be written and accessed without generating disk or network I/O.
– It does not require dedicated disk space for ﬁles and has no negative performance impact.
– Rather than using dedicated physical memory such as a ‘‘RAM disk’’, tmpfs uses the operating system page cache for ﬁle
– Tmpfs ﬁles are written and accessed directly from the memory maintained by the kernel; they are not differentiated from other
uses of physical memory. This means tmpfs ﬁle data can be ‘‘swapped’’ or paged to disk, freeing VM (virtual memory) resources for other needs.